Ireland’s Silicon Republic tech daily reports on the country’s proposals for deploying next-generation broadband throughout Ireland.
Despite the economic problems being endured by Ireland, Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte says he still intends to push ahead with NGN plans under the government’s ‘NewEra’ National Recovery Programme:
“In order to accelerate the development of high-speed broadband, my colleague Minister O’Dowd and I intend to engage intensively with industry. To this end, we will be convening the first formal meeting of the Next Generation Broadband Task Force over the coming weeks.”
The taskforce comprises the CEOs of the major commercial telcos operating in the Irish market. John Kennedy of Silicon Republic writes that:
“In their Programme for Government, Fine Gael and Labour have said they intend to co-invest with the private sector and semi-State sector to bring fibre to the kerb to 90 per cent of homes and businesses across Ireland. The remaining 10 per cent will be provided with high-speed mobile or satellite broadband.”
please sign in to rate this article