Cisco announced it is collaborating with leading French cable operator Numéricable to develop next-generation video experiences for consumers -- based on the Cisco Videoscape platform.
Videoscape is a comprehensive TV platform for service providers that brings together digital TV and online video content with social media and communications applications.
Cisco Videoscape will enable Numericable to deliver a vast array of content to consumers, to the devices of their choosing, in or out of the home, with less technical infrastructure required to do so. Cisco Videoscape's social networking and communications applications also allow consumers to show, share, and engage with their content via video.
Additionally Cisco announced that Numericable has deployed Cisco's (3G60) Broadband Processing Engine, a routing and cable modem technology which will enable the operator to provide the high-speed broadband required for future IP based services on its existing cable infrastructure. With this new technology in place, Numéricable has tested world record-breaking performance on its Cable DOCSIS 3.0 network with speeds of up to 4 Gigabits (Gbps) per second.
Platform to Reinvent the TV Experience
- Numéricable has chosen to deploy Cisco's Videoscape TV service delivery platform as the foundation for its multi-screen TV services, allowing the service provider to deliver high quality video content to any IP-enabled device, including smartphones, tablets and PCs.
- Numéricable's deployment will include the Cisco Content Delivery System (CDS), Media Processor, Transcode Manager, Unified Computing System (UCS), Nexus and Universal Broadband Router.
- Cisco CDS transcends traditional streaming solutions, dynamically caching and adapting content and delivering a broad range of personalized services from different content sources to a multitude of devices, such as TVs, computers and mobile devices, anywhere, anytime.
- Cisco Media Processor and Transcode Manager enable multi-format advanced adaptive bit rate encoding and transcoding in order to prepare media for real-time or on-demand delivery to any screen, providing the best video quality based on the available bandwidth.
- The Unified Computing System (UCS) and Nexus family of switches helps transform the data center. It provides a common compute platform to drive operational efficiencies for video infrastructure by avoiding dedicated video servers per application, sharing storage resources between IT and video.
- An important component of Cisco's complete DOCSIS 3.0 solution, the highly scalable 3G60 is a high-density, cost-effective line card for Cisco's flagship uBR10K Universal Broadband Router and Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) that enables cable television operators to offer IP video services.
- Using the 3G60, a single Cisco Universal Broadband Router can support up to 576 downstream and 480 upstream channels per chassis, the highest CMTS capacity and density in the industry. The 4 Gbps trial also utilized Excentis Byteblower tool for network traffic generation.
"Cisco Videoscape is the ideal platform for Numéricable to reinvent the TV experience for our customers. Cisco has long been a strategic partner for Numéricable and we are confident that this deployment, combined with the ability to introduce ultra-high speed broadband, will help us provide the most compelling video services to our customers," said Jérôme Yomtov, General Secretary of Numericable-Completel.
please sign in to rate this article