Cisco announced that LG U+, the leading total telecom service provider in Korea, will trial two Cisco mobile Internet solutions to deliver voice, video and messaging services to LG U+'s rapidly growing number of 4G LTE customers.
The Cisco V2oLTE (Voice and Video over Long-Term Evolution) solution, based on the Cisco ASR 5000 Series multimedia core platform, will help LG U+ meet the performance challenge of carrying voice traffic over LTE.
Cisco provides a complete solution for V2oLTE that includes the industry's highest-performing Call Session Control Function, unique deployment flexibility and a comprehensive application layer portfolio.
Korea's First Voice-over-LTE Network
- VoLTE is a standard way of delivering voice and messaging services for Long-Term Evolution (LTE) network, which is an all Internet Protocol (IP) system. The system utilizes IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) specifications as its basis.
- LTE is a wireless broadband technology that supports roaming Internet access via mobile phones and devices. It has been labeled fourth-generation, or 4G, technology because of its download speeds and quality are superior to existing 2G and 3G networks.
- LG U+ is experiencing rapidgrowth in 4G LTE devices. As LG U+ approaches millions of LTE customers, it needed a high-performance solution to manage the resulting growth in signaling traffic.
- With its industry-leading scalability and reliability, the Cisco ASR 5000 Series provides LG U+ with a cost-effective increase in performance and capacity without adding a large amount of additional equipment.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series provides significant cost savings for LG U+, as it reduces the number of Call Session Control Function nodes in the network, a central component to signaling and control within the LG U+'s IP IMS network. In addition, the Cisco ASR 5000 Series has the control-plane capacity to handle message floods during mass registration events and increasing amount of control traffic that is occurring as smart devices and applications proliferate.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is also designed specifically for mobile broadband networks and features a distributed architecture with maximum scalability and integrated intelligence.
- According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) mobile data traffic inKorea will grow eightfold from 2011 to 2016, a compound annual growth rate of50percent. Overall, in Korea, mobile data traffic is expected to grow two times as fast as fixed IP traffic from 2011 to 2016. This rapid growth raises the demand for high-quality mobile broadband networks.
"LG U+ has always prided itself on the quality of its voice services, and we expect to provide the same level of quality to our 4G LTE customers. We expect the Cisco V2oLTE solution will help enable us deliver the highest levels of performance, quality and reliability to our customers -- anytime, anywhere," said Chang Woo Lee, senior vice president, Network Operations,LG U+.
please sign in to rate this article