With worldwide mobile network traffic expected to increase nearly 18-fold between 2011 and 2016, Cisco has introduced the foundation for a new generation of mobile Internet networks -- the Cisco ASR 5500 platform.
The new Cisco ASR 5500 system extends the industry-leading Cisco ASR 5000 Series and delivers the agility and scale that service providers need to meet the evolving mobile requirements of their customers.
As the industry's first elastic solution for mobile networks, the new Cisco ASR 5500 platform was designed to capitalize on breakthroughs in software architecture optimized on new, purpose-built hardware. These design characteristics address three multi-dimensional challenges known as the "new normal," which are:
- Dramatic growth of mobile lifestyle devices – consumers are buying sophisticated and powerful Internet-enabled devices for use at home, on the road, and at work given the bring-your-own-device or BYOD movement.
- Increased usage of next-generation applications – explosive growth in applications by users, always-on applications and those that continually interact with the network.
- Rise of the "Internet of things" – also known as machine-to-machine or M2M, whereby machines like smart meters and sensors use the mobile network.
The result is nearly 19 billion mobile and fixed connections to the Internet by 2016, according to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2011 to 2016). Each connection has its own specific requirements, based on device type and application used, that must be met to deliver a superior and personalized mobile experience "your way."
New Mobile Platform Designed to Increase Performance
The Cisco ASR 5500 system delivers unprecedented levels of performance and elasticity to help service providers with the following unique capabilities and features:
- The industry's only elastic packet core solution capable of integrating signaling, data, in-line services, and policy and charging control within a single platform.
- A 10-times performance improvement in throughput, capable of scaling from hundreds of gigabits to a terabit platform.
- The only solution capable of auto-sizing existing network resources to address dramatic variations in network behavior:
- Access (3G, 4G and Wi-Fi); and
- User sessions, transactions, signaling, and data throughput.
- Cisco's elastic mobile architecture allows applications to intelligently and elastically scale up or down to meet processing requirements. This gives service providers the unique ability to adjust resources and adapt to multiple conditions and network usage patterns, resulting in improved network economics, saving customers up to 47 percent of the total cost of ownership, according to a study issued by ACG Research.
- Proven software platform shared across the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, minimizing operational complexities and accelerating time-to-market.
- The new Cisco ASR 5500 is available now.
To power next-generation 3G, 4G, 4G long-term evolution (LTE) and Wi-Fi mobile services, Cisco has deployed the Cisco ASR 5000 series with several leading global service providers including Bharti Airtel, Telekom Austria Group and Verizon Wireless.
"At Telekom Austria Group we see our Cisco mobile core network infrastructure as key enabler for advanced 4G LTE services. With the Cisco ASR 5000 Series as the evolved packet core, we can develop and deploy mobile services quickly, reliably and cost-effectively. We are excited that Cisco is enhancing its ASR 5000 Series with increased performance, scalability and elasticity," said Wolfgang Fleischer, group director, Core-Service Network, Group CTO Area, Telekom Austria Group.
Video: "Introduction of Cisco ASR 5500"
please sign in to rate this article